Mediator with Bluestone ADR
Year of Call
Osgoode Hall Law School, 1986
York University, 1986
Kim E. Stoll
Kim Stoll’s practice includes a specialty in transportation law focusing primarily in marine and trucking including freight forwarding and logistics, cargo losses, products liability, casualty, loss transfer and transportation-related personal injury litigation and mediation. She also has years of experience in litigation, mediation and adjustment of property casualty matters. Kim has provided detailed complex insurance coverage advice. Kim has acted as Excess Counsel and for Underinsured entities in various matters.
Kim has conducted trials in both the Ontario Superior Court and the Federal Court of Canada. She was called to the Ontario Bar in 1988 and received her law degree from Osgoode Hall Law School in Toronto.
Kim is an active mediator with BluestoneADR serving all of Ontario. She holds her Certificate in ADR and Advanced ADR from the University of Windsor and also from Pepperdine University, California, regarding its STAR program (Systematic Approach to Mediation Strategies).
Kim is very active in the transportation industry and is a Past President of the Canadian Transport Lawyers Association (2012). She is Vice President – Central Region of the Women’s International Shipping and Trading Association (2017 to present).
Kim is listed in Best Lawyers (2016 -2019) for Maritime Law and is listed in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2016-2018) as Consistently Recommended for Transportation (Rail and Road). She is listed by Who’s Who Legal: Shipping and Maritime (2017-19) as a Leader in the Field.
Kim regularly organizes and speaks at conferences, conducts seminars and writes articles in the areas of her expertise, including The Transportation Lawyer. She had been Chair of or Contributor to various CLE planning committees of industry conferences including the Marine & Energy Symposium of the Americas (MESA 2018), Canadian Transport Lawyers Association and the Transportation Lawyers Association including the 2019 TLA Chicago Conference. In 2019, as part of Wista Canada Central Region, Kim has developed a new lecture series: Women in Leadership: A Personal Conversation, featuring prominent women in the transportation industry.
Kim is a member of The Canadian Transport Lawyers Association, The Transportation Lawyers Association, Women’s International Shipping and Trading Association, Canadian Maritime Law Association, The Canadian Board of Marine Underwriters, Canadian International Freight Forwarders Association, The Toronto Transportation Club, The Marine Club, the Association of Average Adjusters, the Marine Recovery Forum, the Advocates Society and the Defence Research Institute.
Peer and Client Comments
“Kim Stoll is highly visible in the market and draws praise for her expertise in maritime cargo issues, casualty claims and loss transfer litigation.” – Who’s Who Legal Canada: Shipping 2017
Membership and Activities
- Bluestone ADR, Panelist
- Canadian Transport Lawyers Association (Past President 2012, Programme Chair 2016 and 2018)
- Transportation Lawyers Association [U.S.] (2019 – Program Committee TLA Chicago Seminar)
- Women’s International Shipping and Trading Association (Vice President – Central Region 2017-2019) (2019 – Wista Canada – Women in Leadership: A Personal Conversation lecture series)
- Canadian International Freight Forwarders Association
- The Toronto Transportation Club
- Canadian Maritime Law Association
- Canadian Board of Marine Underwriters
- Marine Club
- The Grunt Club
- Marine Recovery Forum
- Association of Average Adjusters of the United States and Canada
- Defence Research Institute
- The Advocates Society
- The Honourable Order of the Blue Goose
- Listed in Best Lawyers (2016-2019) for Maritime Law
- Listed in Lexpert (2016-2018) as Consistently Recommended for Transportation (Rail and Road).
- Listed in Who’s Who Legal Transport – Shipping as Leader in the Field (2017)
- Listed in Who’s Who Legal Canada – Shipping & Maritime as Leader in the Field (2017 – 2019)
Transportation (all modes including crossborder)
- defended vessel owners (including pleasure craft), shippers, consignees, road carriers and freight forwarders/ load brokers/ warehousers/insurers in respect of cargo claims including cargo damage, theft of trailers and warehouse goods claims
- defended truckers/insurers/leasing companies against personal injury claims for motor vehicle accidents and loss transfer proceedings
- defended road carriers and freight forwarders/ load brokers/ warehousers/insurers in respect of cargo claims including cargo damage, theft of trailers and warehouse goods claims
- defended marina owners/boat repairers regarding fire, water, winterization and storage damage claims and occupier’s liability claims
Personal Injury (non-transport)
- defended occupiers of land including owners and lessees in slip/trip and fall incidents involving private/public property, hotels, restaurants, grocery stores, recreational trails, snowmobiles
- defended international supplier/insurer of vessel engine parts regarding explosion damage
- defended manufacturers of numerous allegedly defective products including contaminated food due to infestation, garden tools, vacuum sealed flasks, hammocks, coolers, microwaves, elevators, automatic doors
- defended taverns, marinas, vessel owners/ event providers, employers and other commercial/social hosts regarding over service and personal injury claims.
- provided legal opinions on complex coverage issues for insurers and insureds
- defended insurers involving coverage claims both in transportation and non-transportation matters
- acted as excess insurance counsel for underinsured entities including individuals and corporations for motor vehicle claims and fire claims
Industries and Individuals Served
- Vessel Owners and Operators, Road Carriers, Freight Forwarders, Load Brokers, Shippers, Warehouse Owners and Operators, Manufacturers, Suppliers and Distributors
- Insurance Companies, Insurance Brokers and Managing General Agents
- Hospitality Industry including taverns, hotels and restaurants
- Food and Pharmaceutical Industries
- Underinsured persons and entities relating to insurance coverage matters
Who’s Who Legal Transport – Shipping
Who’s Who Legal Canada – Shipping & Maritime
Request An Appointment
Subscribe to our newsletter "The Navigator"
Fernandes Hearn LLP
155 University Avenue, Suite 700, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5H 3B7
Telephone: 416-203-9500 | Fax: 416-203-9444 | E-mail:
A proud Canadian law firm specializing in Transportation, Insurance and Commercial Law.