Mergers and Acquisitions
Supply Chain Logistics
Year of Call
University of Toronto Faculty of Law, 1998
University of Toronto University College, 1995
Clients select Louis for his responsiveness and cost-effective counsel. He puts himself in the shoes of his clients to gain a better understanding of what they want to achieve, develops proactive solutions to mitigate risk, and seeks to meet specified goals as efficiently as possible. He is a team player who likes to think outside the box to solve client challenges.
Louis centres his practice on corporate and commercial law and serves as lead counsel in private company mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance transactions and reorganizations in various industry sectors. He is a trusted advisor to domestic and foreign companies, provides general corporate counsel services to start-up, emerging growth and mid-market companies, and routinely advises on corporate structure and governance, regulatory compliance, and the negotiation of commercial contracts that seek to mitigate risk and protect key interests.
He is a recognized leader in the field of transport regulatory compliance, licensing and safety matters, and is regularly consulted with regard to operating procedures by a wide range of clients in the air, bus, truck, rail and logistics sectors. Louis provides legal and consulting services to shippers, carriers, warehouse operators and freight intermediaries as they navigate changes in the regulatory landscape.
Louis provides customs and trade advice to manufacturers, importers, exporters and freight forwarders on the movement of goods and services across international borders, including the international sale of goods, compliance with the Customs Act and its regulations, participation in trusted trader programs, tariff classification, rules of origin and preferential tariff treatment under the North American Free Trade Agreement and the Canada—European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement. He has represented clients during trade compliance verifications by the Canada Border Services Agency and in connection with administrative monetary penalties, seizures and other sanctions.
In the automotive sector, he frequently acts for dealers, distributors, importers, lessors and parts manufacturers in connection with regulatory compliance, distribution agreements, supply contracts and the establishment and management of dealer networks.
Louis is a past President of the Canadian Transport Lawyers Association and has served on the Executive Committee of the Transportation Lawyers Association (U.S.). He currently serves on the publications committee of the Association of Transportation Law Professionals, which produces the quarterly Journal of Transportation Law, Logistics and Policy. He is a founding member and a director of The Urban Orchestra.
- Best Lawyers in Canada®
Recognized since 2009
› Aviation Law
› Transportation Law
› 2018 Lawyer of the Year – Transportation (Toronto)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory
Transportation (Road and Rail) – “Most Frequently Recommended”
- Lexpert® Guide to US/Canada Cross-Border Lawyers in Canada
Trade – “Most Frequently Recommended”
- “Safety Plans and Due Diligence for Motor Carriers: When is Enough, Enough?” The Navigator: October 2017 (Toronto: Fernandes Hearn LLP) pp. 23-25.
- “Guidance Regarding the Boundaries of Personal Liability of Directors for Oppression” The Navigator: July 2017 (Toronto: Fernandes Hearn LLP) pp. 14-16.
- “Bye-Bye to the Bulk Sales Act?” The Navigator: July 2016 (Toronto: Fernandes Hearn LLP) pp. 16-19.
- “Preparing to Sell a Family-Owned Transportation Business” The Navigator: April 2016 (Toronto: Fernandes Hearn LLP) pp. 1-5.
- “At the Crossroads: Trucking, Government and the Canada—U.S. Border”Journal of Transportation Law, Logistics and Policy: 2013 Volume 80, No. 4, pp. 241-253.
- “Mergers and Acquisitions involving Transportation Undertakings in Canada: Due Diligence, Representations, Warranties and Covenants” The Transportation Lawyer: December 2012, Volume 14, No. 3, pp. 58-74.
- Co-Editor, The Transportation Lawyer, a joint publication of the Transportation Lawyers Association (U.S.) and the Canadian Transport Lawyers Association. – Volume 8, No. 3 (December 2006) to Volume 9, No. 2 (October 2007).
- “Update from the Provinces” Co-Author with Alex MacWilliam, Daniel P. Ryall, Stéphanie Thibault and Keith D. Kilback. The Transportation Lawyer: August 2004, Volume 6, No. 1, pp. 53-59.
- “Changes to the Regulation of the Transportation of Alcohol and Tobacco in Canada” Co-Author with Sky Jondahl. The Transportation Lawyer: October 2003, Volume 5, No. 2, pp. 59-61.
- “Prospects for Canada’s Film Industry: Will There be a Sweet Hereafter or is this As Good As It Gets?” in M.J. Trebilcock, ed., The Working Papers Series (Toronto: Centre for the Study of State and Market, 1998).
- Webinar panellist: “Hopes and Fears for NAFTA: A Three-Country Perspective”. National Customs Brokers & Forwarders Association of America. July 12, 2018.
- Moderator: “Coming up Next: NAFTA 2.0, No NAFTA, or Zombie NAFTA?” 89th Annual Meeting of the Association of Transportation Law Professionals. Washington, D.C.: June 11, 2018.
- Panelist: “NAFTA and Baseball: Different Game, Same Goal”. Transportation Lawyers Association (U.S.), Annual Conference. Orlando, FL: May 5, 2018.
- Moderator: “NAFTA Modernization and its Impact on Energy and Trade”. Marine Energy Symposium of the Americas 2018. Toronto, ON: April 19, 2018
- Webinar panellist: “What to Expect from Upcoming NAFTA Talks”. National Customs Brokers & Forwarders Association of America. April 12, 2018.
- Moderator: “NAFTA Update: The Effects of Modernization on Transportation”. 18th Annual Fernandes Hearn Seminar. Toronto, Ontario: January 17, 2018.
- Panelist: “New Solutions for Old Obstacles – Cross-Border Motor Carrier Operations in North America”. Transportation Lawyers Association (U.S.), Annual Conference. Santa Fe, N.M.: April 27, 2017.
- Panelist: “Emerging Customs Issues”, 17th Annual Fernandes Hearn Seminar. Toronto, Ontario: January 19, 2017.
- Panelist: “Safety Plans, Due Diligence and Infractions in Trucking”, 17th Annual Fernandes Hearn Seminar. Toronto, Ontario: January 19, 2017.
- Panelist: “Round Table Modal Updates: Truck, Bus, Marine, Air, & Rail”. Canadian Transport Lawyers Association, Annual Conference. Toronto, Ontario: September 24, 2016.
- Educational Program Chair: “Fun, Sun and CLE: Mining for Diamonds on the Emerald Coast”. Transportation Lawyers Association (U.S.), Annual Conference. Destin, Florida: April 26-30, 2016.
- Panelist: “Drafting Transborder Transportation Contracts”. Canadian Transport Lawyers Association. Kelowna, B.C.: October 3, 2015.
- Panelist: “Ethics: Are Lawyers Vanishing?”. Transportation Lawyers Association (U.S.), Annual Conference. St. Petersburg, Florida: May 3, 2014.
- Educational Program Chair: “The St. Lawrence River: The Essential Artery / Le fleuve Saint-Laurent: l’indispensable artère”. Canadian Transport Lawyers Association, Annual Conference. Québec City, Québec: September 19-21, 2013.
- Panelist: “Canadian Cross-Border Transportation Issues: Trucking” 84th Annual Meeting of the Association of Transportation Law Professionals. Atlantic Beach, Florida: June 26, 2013.
- Moderator: “Ethics: In Vino Veritas” Transportation Lawyers Association (U.S.), Annual Conference. Napa, California: May 4, 2013.
- Panelist: “Transactions Involving Transport Companies”. Canadian Transport Lawyers Association, Annual Conference. Toronto, Ontario: September 27, 2012.
- Keynote Speaker: “Bills of Lading Act: An Overview” Delta Nu Alpha. Brampton, Ontario: March 22, 2012.
- Panelist: “Ethical Issues of Transportation Attorneys: Lawyers’ Communications with Judges and Juries”. Chicago Regional Seminar on Transportation Law & Litigation. Chicago, Illinois: January 20, 2012.
- Keynote Speaker: “$2.00/lb Maximum Carrier Liability: Where Does That Leave the Broker?” National Transportation Brokers Association. Mississauga, Ontario: January 20, 2011.
- Panelist: “Cross Border Security Issues: The Impact of e-Manifest on Canadian and American Motor Carriers”. Canadian Transport Lawyers Association, Annual Conference. Québec City, Québec: September 26, 2008.
- Moderator: “Developing Issues in Commercial Transactions: (i) Getting the Deal Done: Canadian Regulatory Approvals in relation to M&A in the Transportation Industry; and (ii) Emerging Due Diligence Considerations in a Security Conscious World”. Canadian Transport Lawyers Association, Annual Conference. Toronto, Ontario: September 15, 2006.
- Panelist: “Homeland Security: Are We Safer Now?” Transportation Lawyers Association (U.S.), Annual Conference. Indian Wells, California: May 12, 2005.
- Moderator: “Customs: Sorting out the New Buzzwords; Update on the U.S. Homeland Security Act; and Immigration: Recent Developments”. Canadian Transport Lawyers Association, Annual Conference. Toronto, Ontario: December 5, 2002
- Educational Program Committee Member: “The North American Common Security Perimeter: A Viable Vision?” Canadian Transport Lawyers Association, Annual Conference. Toronto, Ontario: December 5-8, 2002.
- Represented Wheels International Inc., a third-party logistics and transportation company owned by Radiant Logistics, Inc., in the acquisition of Lomas Logistics, a division of L.V. Lomas Limited. Lomas Logistics offers third party logistics solutions to clients in various industries including consumer goods, healthcare and technology, with operations in Ontario and British Columbia.
- Represented SRP Companies Canada, a subsidiary of SRP Companies (Sapulpa, OK), in the acquisition of The Creative Planogram Company, Canada’s leading marketer and distributor of quality, on-trend impulse products servicing over 7,000 retail locations.
- Represented LeasePlan Canada Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Foss National Leasing Ltd., in the negotiation and implementation of a licensing agreement with LeasePlan Corporation N.V., a fleet management and driver mobility company with over 1.3 million vehicles in 31 countries.
- Formed part of the M&A and regulatory team that represented Stock Transportation Ltd., a subsidiary of National Express Group PLC, in the acquisition of Northstar Passenger Services LP from Contrans Income Fund, a freight haulage company based in Woodstock, Ontario. Northstar, a school bus contractor based in Barrie, Ontario, had a fleet of 800 school buses and 850 employees.
- Formed part of the M&A team that represented Entertainment One Income Fund (formerly ROW Entertainment Income Fund), a major distributor of home entertainment products, in the acquisition of Koch Entertainment, a U.S. based independent record, music publishing and distribution company as well as an independent video label distributor, together with its Canadian assets for a purchase price of US$80 million. The transaction created one of North America’s largest suppliers of pre-recorded music and videos for the home entertainment industry with combined revenues of approximately Cdn. $675 million.
- Represented a start-up Canadian company in the negotiation of an exclusive distribution agreement with a leading manufacturer of scooters and motorcycles, and with the development of its dealer network across Canada.
- Represented a private equity investor in a $6.8 million investment in a leading provider of online search and registration services to the legal, financial and business communities.
- Formed part of the M&A team that represented a private equity investor in a $5.4 million investment in a biopharmaceutical company with operations in the United States and Canada.
- Formed part of the M&A team that represented an independent manager of private equity and debt capital in its acquisition, jointly with management, of a manufacturer of vinyl replacement and new construction windows with operations in Ontario and New York.
Industries and Individuals Served
- Importers and Exporters
- Cross-border businesses
- Manufacturers, Suppliers and Distributors
- Aircraft Operators
- Motor Carriers
- Charter Bus Companies
- School Bus Operators
- Railway Companies
- Leasing Companies
- Cargo Logistics / 3PL Providers
- Supply Chain Managers
- Load Brokers
- Freight Forwarders
- Warehouse Operators
Request An Appointment
Subscribe to our newsletter "The Navigator"
A proud Canadian law firm specializing in Transportation, Insurance and Commercial Law.